SchoolWorks consulting services are provided by a team of education experts in the fields of leadership, curriculum, instruction, assessment and school culture and climate.
Our services include:
- SchoolWorks Quality Review©
- SchoolWorks Improvement Planning©
- SchoolWorks Leadership Coaching©
- SchoolWorks Special Projects©
SchoolWorks Quality Review©
The purpose of the SchoolWorks Quality Review (SQR) is to measure a school’s performance against a set of research-based criteria in order to identify strengths and areas for improvement.
Benefits. The SQR develops an objective, evidenced-based
report on school quality that can be used for multiple purposes.
The reports are often used to:
- Assess progress against a school’s stated goals in
an improvement plan or accountability plan.
- Provide a needs assessment report at the beginning
of an improvement planning process.
"...SchoolWorks assisted the School District of Philadelphia in the development and implementation of a School Quality Review process. Over 100 schools were reviewed. The project was very successful and continues to influence our accountability system today. SchoolWorks did an admirable job in three key areas: protocol design, training and quality control.
SchoolWorks placed an emphasis on working closely with our staff to design a protocol that captured key evidence about leadership, instruction and use of data."
Thomas Clark, Ed. D.
Director, Office of Research and Evaluation
SchoolWorks Improvement Planning©
SchoolWorks Improvement Planning (SIP) is a process by which a school collects and analyzes data on student attainment, curriculum implementation and classroom instruction to inform school improvement planning. It is also a process by which schools monitor the success of their improvement initiatives and make decisions about how best to manage teaching and learning.
- School Improvement Planning is based on years of research about effective school practices.
- School Improvement Planning can work in unison with a wide range of curriculum initiatives because it is not dependent on any particular approach to instruction or the adoption of any specific curriculum program.
- School Improvement Planning fosters good school management through use of data about students, staff and daily school practices.
- School Improvement Planning is implemented by school personnel under SchoolWorks guidance and, therefore, is not heavily dependent on trainers and coaches from outside the school.
- School Improvement Planning is designed to integrate with external school reviews, such as charter accountability reviews. SIP makes use of such reports to add to data available for analysis and to set priorities for improvement.
SchoolWorks Leadership Coaching©
SchoolWorks Leadership Coaching is designed to maximize achievement
for all students. The SchoolWorks Coach will collaborate with school
leaders to help them develop the skills, knowledge and behavior
needed to improve organizational capacity, resulting in change
that is systematic and sustainable.
Benefits. Through SchoolWorks Leadership Coaching, school leaders will
improve student performance and organizational effectiveness by:
- Building their capacity to collect and analyze data
to monitor student achievement;
- Improving instruction;
- Developing benchmarking skills to track school-wide progress;
- Reflecting on their practice to improve self confidence and
enhance their decision-making ability;
- Improving organizational behaviors and practices;
- Focusing on developing improvement plans that are measurable and systematic;
- Tackling complex issues confronting schools
today by developing tools, resources and skills (e.g., the use of SWOT, Research Findings, Strategic Alignment Grids,
Strategic Planning Models, School Improvement Planning.)
"The coaching experience has allowed me to become a more thoughtful leader. I have learned
the true meaning of a learning organization and value input from all stakeholders."
"The coaching experience has given me a deeper understanding of leadership."
"My coach is one that I truly respect. I respect him enough that he can put me
in check when necessary and I don’t think twice about it."
Principal, Harbor Science and Arts Charter School
SchoolWorks Special Projects©
SchoolWorks clients often have very unique consulting needs. SchoolWorks meets these needs through its Special Projects. Special Projects are usually intensive, focused engagements of approximately three months to a year that result in a specific set of outcomes.
Benefits. State departments of education, districts, charter school authorizers and educational service providers turn to SchoolWorks Special Projects to complete critical tasks. Benefits include:
- Projects can be completed quickly without having to reassign permanent staff away from their current positions.
- Through its network of consultants, SchoolWorks brings unique experience and knowledge that may not be available internally.